Friday, September 04, 2009

Hardy Hibiscus

Hardy Hibiscus
Hibiscus moscheutos
(hi-BIS-kus) (mos-KEW-tos)
Synonyms: Swamp Mallow, Rose Mallow

This Hibiscus was marked ‘Cherry Brandy’ but that wasn’t true because it isn’t all red. So even if it isn’t the right name it sure was a beautiful flower. If you are gong to buy this plant it is usually better to think about planting it a little earlier in the season. Yesterday I wanted to get a couple for the planting job we are doing now and they had all sprawled over at the three different nurseries that I visited.



Tomorrow starts the big holiday weekend in the US and the unofficial end of summer. Three days off in a row that sure is going to be nice.

5 comments:

Janet said...

I love the big dinner plate sized Hibiscus blooms....especially the pink ones!

Blackswamp_Girl said...

That first shot is especially lovely. Is that the hibiscus foliage that is casting an interesting shadow on the petals, or something nearby in the garden?

Dawn said...

I love the shadows on the first shot.

SandyCarlson said...

I love that first one. Seems to be autographed in shadows.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

I am not what the shadows are from, just a lucky catch. At least it wasn't my big head which often shows up when I don't account for the sun's angle.