Monday, September 07, 2009

Red Zinnia


Red Zinnia
Zinnia elegans
(ZIN-ya) (ELL-eh-ganz)


Today is a holiday around here. This red Zinnia is for my Ruby Tuesday post. The Zinnias actually did well this year, not too much fungus. It is strange because you would think with all the rain and cloudy days that they would have gotten the powdery mildew. I noticed the Bee Balm didn’t get too much mildew either.

Zinnias are nice to have in the garden. This season there were even a few tall ones that I liked. Normally the dwarf types behave best but since it has been an upside down year the taller varieties also did well. Zinnias are easy to grow from seed and cutting the flowers encourages a lower habit and a lot more flowers.

This is the plant list of what we installed on Thursday and Friday. I hope it turns into a nice garden.

Trees

1 Gold Rush Dawn Redwood
1 Chaste Tree (Vitex)
1 Dwarf White Pine (Pinus strobus ‘Nana’)
3 Thundercloud Purple leaf Plum
1 Kousa Dogwood Clump

Shrubs

5 Doublefile Viburnum ‘Shasta
5 Pink Rhododendron ‘English Roseum
2 Pink Rhododendron 'Roseum Elegans
3 Red Mountain Laurel (Kalmia ‘Carol’)
3 Gold Mound Spirea
1 Spirea ‘Snowstorm
1 Virginia Sweetspire (Itea virginia ‘Henry’s Garnet’)
1 Weigela florida ‘My Monet’
13 Spreading Deutzia
1 Climbing Rose ‘Joseph’s Robe
1 Climbing Rose ‘Westerland

Perennials

1 Purple Clematis 'General Sikorsky’
3 ‘Red Head’ Fountain Grass
3 Dwarf Fountain Grass ‘Little Bunny’
3 Veronica spicata ‘Red Fox’
3 Shasta Daisy ‘Becky
3 Montauk Daisy
5 Dwarf Purple Coneflower ‘Kim’s Knee High
1 Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer’
3 Chrysanthemum 12” Hanging Baskets

Gorundcover
12 ‘Goldilocks’ Creeping Jenny
12 Angelina Sedum
1400 Hardy English Ivy

See more Ruby Tuesday at Work of the Poet. It actually starts tomorrow.

10 comments:

sandyshares said...

I don't have any zinnias this year and I am missing their deep colors and hardiness.sandy

Regina said...

Love it! So pretty.

Mayte said...

Beautifull. Congratulation.
Mayte

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

Perfect red for Ruby Tuesday. :)

Becca said...

Wow, that zinnia is beautiful, great pic! :)

Sara Chapman in Seattle, USA said...

I didn't know that you should cut zinnias for better bloom. Do you think it's too late to get some denser bloom from mine? I planted Lilleput and they are healthy but taller than I expected and not really a mass of color like they "should" be, seeing as they are planted in good soil and good sun. Time for bouquets!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi Sara, It is probably a little late but you can try it anyway. The 'Profusion' series of Zinnia really lives up to its name but the flowers are a little smaller.

One of Zinnias common names is Cut and Come Again so it helps to cut the flowers. Also I find they like the soil to be a little on the lean side.

DeniseinVA said...

A lovely photo of your beautiful Zinnia.

Lynn said...

Sounds like the makings of a glorious garden. I'll take some of those pretty red zinnias. We planted are so late, I'm afraid we won't have any blooms at all.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Zinnia elegans,
did you try to surprise me
as I sauntered by?


My Ruby Tuesday