Sunday, September 20, 2009

White Canna Lily Flower


Canna Lily
Canna x generalis 'Ermine'
(KAN-uh) (jen-er-RAY-liss)

You don’t see white Canna flowers too often. There are several types out now and this one is billed as the ‘whitest’. Up close there is a little yellow in the flower, especially when it is starting to go by, but from a few steps back it does appear to be all white. This Canna is also a dwarf only getting 2 to 3 feet tall.


Yesterday we where out wine tasting on the North Fork of Long Island. It is fun visiting all the vineyards as most have at least some garden. It wasn’t as good as winery jumping in Sonoma or Napa Counties but they are really trying. We ended up going to quite a few places and I am feeling the effects a little today. We scored about 8 bottles of various wines we liked, which should last us awhile.

This Aster flower was blooming on the side of one of the buildings. It looked wild but I am pretty sure it was planted there. Since it was really windy I am surprised it came out at all. The blurry background is mostly from the wind and luckily the flower got frozen.


Autumn starts on Tuesday so here is a shot of a little fall scene someone had set up at an art gallery.



For more flower pictures from around the world check out:
Today’s Flowers . The links open at 1400 GMT.

17 comments:

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

I like all your shot..today and ever.But I loved the first..:Adore macro shot, dear
havea nice week
graceolsson.com/blog

Suburban Girl said...

Just passed by a farm the other day with Canna lilies all over the place...but none where white!

Snap said...

I haven't seen a white canna before .. thanks! All the shots were wonderful .. the Aster. Fall is just around the corner!

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Do want to look into that white canna, how unusual. Would be a great companion to my Rosever Canna (the burgundy leafed peachy-rose bloom -also dwarf)

Tes said...

Oh wow, beautiful capture. Let me say, you're lucky to have a dark background template..nice thinking on that one, it makes the photos float nicely! Love the pumpkin arrangement! :)

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

DFP: What a neat post as Fall approaches.
BTW: You could be right about the Gazinia, I just went by a tag on the pot.

Regina said...

So delicate and pretty!
Beautiful shots.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

This white Canna is beautiful. I like how the inner petals curl around. I love Cannas in my garden, but like you say white is rare! The little aster flower looks so humble and still is a work of art. In the northern hemisphere autumn arrives and a pretty still life replaces the summer flora.

SquirrelQueen said...

Beautiful shots, I've only seen Canna Lilies once or twice. I love the cute little fall scene.

Thanks for visiting,
SQ

Magdalena said...

What a lovley flower's the canna is. But my favorite is the last picture.

Magdalena

Al said...

I wonder if that Canna Lilly is the same as our Camia flowers they look the same.

Unknown said...

I love white flowers in OPG (Other People's Gardens) and that canna is a beauty! Does it have the typical dark green leaves, or dare I hope for a hint of purple or yellow in those, too?

SandyCarlson said...

I love the grape industry. Entertaining, satisfying, useful. This flower is lovely. New to me, and it's nice to make the acquaintance.

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful display of flowers and the last one of the pumpkins was delightful. Thanks also for popping over and helping me to identify one of my flowers. I always appreciate a little extra help. Have a great week.

Flowers said...

You have posted awesome pictures of flower that is appreciated. Keep it up the good work. Cheers :)

Tulip said...

beautiful dainty flowers, big and small squash.

my entry: http://www.purodula.com/

Gunilla said...

Fantastic shots. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for visiting me too
Have a nice day
Gunilla in Sweden