Monday, September 28, 2009

Mikado Semi Cactus Dahlia

Semi Cactus Dahlia
Dahlia 'Mikado'

Having missed getting a shot of ‘Mikado’ the last time I visited Planting Fields I was determined to get one this time. It just came out okay and doesn’t really have the electric color that the original flower does. It seemed like a pretty big flower for a Semi-Cactus type. It was very puffy. The plant was doing well and had several other flowers besides this one. I would grow this Dahlia any time.

Since this is a Ruby Tuesday post and ‘Mikado’ is a little orange I thought this plant would cover the red for ruby.


Redbud Hazel
Disanthus cercidifolius
(dis-AN-thus) (ser-uh-sid-ih-FOH-lee-us)

This was just another cool plant in the five acre Synoptic Garden at Planting Fields. The Disanthus was struggling a bit but putting a good show on its few leaves. The Synoptic Garden is arranged by the plant’s scientific name. There are a few plants out of order but that is to have a nicer flow through the garden. There were some existing plantings in the area and some of those were saved but don’t fit in alphabetically. It is a great garden and always fun to explore. The Abelia collection (a plant I am not crazy about) was remarkable and really showed some of the nice cultivars available. I could see some of the short ones in the garden.

Since the Disanthus was new to me I found it immensely fascinating. From looking it up some sites say it is hardy to Zone 5 (USDA) and we are in Zone 6 (warmer). This shrub grows in part shade and still gets its great fall color.

See more Ruby Tuesday at Work of the Poet.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos, as always. When you say that the semi cactus dahlia flower is "rather large," what do you mean in inches? I'm already intrigued... :)

Judy said...

I love the photo of the redbud hazel!! The leaves are a bit of an odd shape, but that one pure red leaf amongst the more purple ones is just so startling, in a good way!!

Carletta said...

Another lovely dahilia!
I love the leaves - beautifully composed shot.

Carletta’s Captures.

Mimi said...

Beautiful shots.
The leaves on that red Disanthus are stunning- sometimes leaves can be more exciting than flowers, can't they?

judi/Gmj said...

beauti;ful reds!

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Thanks for the comments.

Kim, the flower was big size wise. Maybe 6 or 7 inches across and a couple inches 'thick'.

joey said...

Autumn greetings, Chris. As always a delight to visit ... you never seem to miss a beautiful opportunity to shoot and introduce us to 'the best of the best'!

life's journey said...

Pretty flowers. Happy Ruby Tuesday.

Miranda said...

Very pretty flowers!

Hootin Anni said...

Love all your reds here...so so professional looking photography!!! And your "Autin Roses entry for Wednesday" is super also!


My R. T. is posted now, I do hope you can come by and keep me company today!! You'll need to scroll down below my Tuesday's Heads or Tails Meme to view my ruby photo. Hope to see you there.

Anonymous said...

That Mikado Dahlia is gorgeous! From a cactus? Even more interesting. Did you know the Mikado is a Japanese opera? just a bit o' trivia!

moosh said...

I love Dahlias. Have grown them but they can be tricky. Great shots. HRT

Unknown said...

Wow, that's huge! Now I'm more than merely intrigued... :)

(by the way, my word verification word right now is: "nosize"... very funny!)