Saturday, May 21, 2011

Bleeding Heart


Bleeding Heart
Dicentra 'King of Hearts'
(dy-SEN-truh)

This is a special little plant. It is apparently a hybrid of three different Dicentra species (D. peregrina, D. eximia and D. formosana). It is much smaller growing than the ‘regular’ Bleeding Heart and much longer blooming. It can often bloom into July (or longer) long after the other Bleeding Hearts have disappeared for the year.

This plant likes a little moisture to look it’s best. It also does not like competition. The price can be a little hard to swallow but once it is in your garden you will love it. 'King of Hearts' is one of those almost perfect perennials to me. The smaller stature, beautiful foliage, fun flowers and low maintenance all combine to make it worth growing.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Beautiful photo! My sister has several large bleeding heart plants in her garden and I just love them!

SandyCarlson said...

One of my favorites. When I was little I thought the hearts looked like ladies with puffy hair-dos. Fun and pretty.

tracy said...

i've never seen bleeding hearts so small! they are adorable! <3 it!

Pedro D. H. said...

They're looking sad... :~