Thursday, May 12, 2011

Weeping Flowering Crabapple


Weeping Flowering Crabapple
Malus 'White Cascade'
(MAY-lus)

This tree is almost a little too vigorous to me. It needs several prunings a season to keep it in tip-top shape. It grows wide and not too tall and is beautiful in flower. It also grows so thick that it is near impossible to grow anything below it. I have had some luck growing a little Deutzia and Japanese Andromeda (Pieris) but even those plants are trying to stick their heads out from under the dark canopy. Personally I would much rather grow ‘Red Jade’ Crabapple, which seems to me to be a much more refined and dignified tree.

I am off to the nursery with a big list today. I will be buying plants for several houses and gardens. It is an exciting time to visit your local garden center and I will surely have my camera today.

1 comment:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Nice to go shopping with someone else's purse! Constant pruning on a tree is a bother.