Thursday, May 26, 2011

Bonica Floribunda Rose


Floribunda Rose
Rosa 'Bonica'
(RO-zuh)
Synonyms: Bonica '82, Demon, MEIdomonac

The first rose of the season was blooming yesterday and I was happy to have my camera to record it. The other roses are loaded with buds and it will be great when they bloom. The weather has not been cooperating for rose culture (too humid and rainy) but that is not going to stop the initial wave of flowers. In the garden this rose is from they have a separate company that manages pests and diseases so they came and sprayed yesterday. It is nice not to have to worry about that. If I notice anything going on in the garden I just have to call it in.

'Bonica' isn’t my favorite rose but gets four out of five stars for ease of cultivation, hardiness and it is a heavy bloomer. I have always thought of it as a shrub rose and was surprised to see it listed as a floribunda. The stems are really too short for cut flowers. Karen has been the one taking care of this group of Bonicas and has had great success with early season hard pruning and then monitoring the disease problems.

Everything here is gearing up for the big holiday weekend. It will be nice to have an extra day off this weekend although I am going to spend some time looking for the 35 dozen Impatiens I need for planting next week.