Thursday, May 03, 2012

Japanese Iris





Japanese Iris
Iris ensata
(EYE-ris) (en-SA-tuh)

This was the lone flower that we got when dividing some of the Japanese Iris at work last year. I am hoping that they will come back with a vengeance this year. You will usually find this type of Iris tucked into any garden that we build or tend to. While slightly more expensive than bearded or Siberian Iris they are well worth it. I. ensata has the largest flower in the Iris family and is a strong grower.

Speaking of things coming back I was astounded by the fact that many of the annuals we planted in containers in Manhattan last year seemed to overwinter. The Petunias, Superbells and Cannas were all growing strong when we visited the roof top garden yesterday. The Cannas weren't that unusual  but the Marigolds and Petunias were. That is the first time I had seen that in 25+ years of gardening. Nature always has surprises for me but that really floored me.

1 comment:

Felicia @ No Deposit Poker said...

Great violet color on this Japanese Iris! Thanks for sharing!