Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Garden Statues from Skylands


Garden Statues from Skylands
The New Jersey State Botanical Garden

If you came for Wordless Wednesday scroll down to the next post.

Short post today as I am experiencing a few computer problems. Everything was working so well for so long that something had to crop up. Luckily I have almost everything backed up to disk now. That takes a lot of the worry out of it. Everything seems to be working again.

These are some of the beautiful statues they had at the New Jersey State Botanical Garden. Normally this kind of thing is just okay with me but when you have a garden that big and the statues are tastefully blended into the landscape and garden they work very well. To me accents in the garden are never as important as the plants themselves but I know for some people it is the other way around. I tried to find out some information on the Eagle sculptures but didn’t come up with anything. They are very cool and are located right at the front entrance.


This next statue is ‘Diana’, Goddess of the Hunt and of the Woods. It is a copy of the 4th Century B.C. Greek statue. It was cast in lead in London in 1920 and purchased for Skylands in 1924. This was a beautiful piece of art that was right on the edge of where the garden met the woods.


I liked this planter. It had these lion heads on two sides and a face of a woman on the other two. It was in the center of the annual garden. The annual garden looked like it had been quite nice during the season. Of course during our visit it had gone by.

I just found out last night that my sister is moving from Santa Fe, New Mexico to Glen Ellen, California. Hmmm, I can sense some wine tastings in my future.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came for WW but I lingered over these great statues! Enjoy Glen Ellen when you visit! I live in So. Cal. Happy WT to you...

Anonymous said...

nice statues happy ww

SandyCarlson said...

These are wonderful. The strength and movmement in Diana blows me away. The Eagle reminds me of the fellows flanking the multi-purpose war monument on the Waterbury green. Perhaps they came into being around the same time. Your guy is mighty!

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

love the little lionhead

Bevson said...

I live very close to Skylands and visit there often. I fact I drive past the road to it everyday. It is funny how you take things for granted until you see sit through someone's eyes. Your shots are lovely.

David (Snappy) said...

I love the Statues.The diana one is great between the garden and woods.Im glad you took a chance on photographing them :)

Annie in Austin said...

Thanks for the look at Skylands, DFP. I also love that huntress statue as it's placed on the edge of the woods. I wonder if the original Greek statue was called Artemis rather than Diana?

It sounds like your sister has guaranteed having visitors by chosing cool places to live- either Santa Fe or wine country California would be tempting!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Anonymous said...

Skylands is one of my favorite stores for garden statues shopping.....also prefer Design Toscano for it....!