Friday, November 02, 2007

More 50mm/1.8 Photos


Here are some more shots from the 50mm/1.8. In some ways I against having too many lenses in your bag as it complicates things. I start thinking well if I only had this lens or that lens. Basically you need to have a couple of good lenses and a pretty good camera to get good shots.


The first picture greeted as I walked out the door yesterday morning. Too bad the day didn’t live up to this sunrise. It was just one of those days where a lot of little things kept me from getting done what I wanted. I did get the sprinkler system blown out but it took all day. I did manage to walk around and get a few pictures. This is a native tree from the Estate. Pretty good color for a seedling.


I read on Ki’s blog that his ‘Beni Kawa’ Japanese Maple was in fall color already and many of his other Maples hadn’t changed yet. So of course I had to check my specimen and sure enough it was coloring up. There are some other Coral Bark Maples planted near this one (‘Japanese Sunrise’ and ‘Sango Kaku’) and they haven’t started yet either. You can actually just see the tips of ‘Sango Kaku’ coming into the picture on the left. One thing I have noticed about Coral Barks is they do hold their fall color for a long time. Anyway I thought it was interesting that both of the ‘Beni Kawa’s were turning already and I think it maybe a characteristic of the cultivar.


I posted recently I was moving some shrubs that had grown too big and were interfering with the drainage along side the house. Here is a picture of the monster Burning Bush we moved. I put the rake in there for scale. Pretty good for two people, although Karen did help drag it out of the hole. It looked good in its new spot. We moved that big Pieris in the background and a large Redvein Enkianthus (E. campanulatus) and Koreanspice Viburnum (V. carlesii). The stuff had been in for 18 years and I was sick of trying to prune it back. This is not at the estate but another garden I designed and built in New Canaan.

8 comments:

Ki said...

That's a wonderful site for the Beni kawa! The water element really enhances the shape and color of the tree. Lovely light from above in the deep woods setting.

I bought two sizeable Redvein Enkianthus last fall but one which was planted in a fairly sheltered place died and the other is barely surviving with only one small branch still living at the bottom of the bush. Do you know what I could have done wrong?

SandyCarlson said...

Magnificent sunrise! The sunset was pretty spectacular, too. I caught it from Topsmead in Litchfield. I was too much in awe to take the camera out of the trunk. Thank you for preserving some of the wonder of the day here!

Priscilla George said...

Beautiful sky! I love the little red seedling tree it's such a vibrant red. I read about Ki's beni kawa and was surprised to see your post on it too. They have such a nice color. That bush you moved is huge. 18 years is a long time to be growing.

K M F said...

beautifull shot

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Ki,

The 'Beni-Kawa' is sited nicely, mostly by luck. There are some Buttonwoods on the other side that I going to rip out and let this tree fill in. I built the first pond and that is a reservoir in the background. You can see the estate is quite sloped. While that brings certain problems it is also nice for viewing some of the trees. I am not sure about the Enkianthus but I think they like more sun then they are given credit for.

Hi sandy, The sunrise stopped me dead in my tracks on the way to the car. One good thing about living on top of a big hill is we get good sunrises and sunsets. Bad thing is the wind whips through here in the winter.

vanillalotus, The seedling tree is about 60 feet tall! :lol: I guess native would have been a better way to describe it. When we were laying out the gardens it was in the fall and we left the Scarlet Maples with the best color and worked around them.

The 18 years went by fast. I now know that Burning Bush is totally unsuitable for a foundation planting. It looks great in its new location and is providing some privacy screening. Thanks for visiting and commenting. I enjoy your comments.

kmf, thanks for stopping by.

joey said...

Wow! What a huge Burning Bush to transplant. Will you keep us posted on how it likes its new home? This has been the strangest autumn ... very late and colors not as vibrant. Burning Bushes in Michigan are finally 'burning'! Quite an amazing shrub, so quiet then loud ... love the contrast near evergreens.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

hi joey,

When the burning bush turns red I will show it in its new home. I like them but they have to enough room. I agree about the weird weather. We are in for some colder stuff this week coming up, maybe it will feel more like fall.

Diane Dehler said...

Your nature photography is just so excellent.