Thursday, June 17, 2010

Peony Poppy



Peony Poppy
Papaver somniferum var. paeoniiflorum
(puh-PAY-ver)
Synonyms: Opium Poppy, Paeony Flowered Poppy

This flower was growing out behind the vegetable garden at the farm we were working at. It was totally new to me and it took a little research to figure out its name. I wish these pictures came out better but it was really overcast and windy and that made photography conditions difficult. Most of the flowers had already bloomed in the little patch but there were a few of these pink ones and a couple of a nice red type. The already spent flowers were displaying a nice seed head typical of the genus. Later when I return to that house I want to get a few seeds as I was reading they are easy to grow from seed.


This has been a good week for me. No doctor’s appointments at all for the first time since the end of February. I am now on a three or four-month rotation with all the different doctors and that is okay with me. I am waiting to hear from the new cardiologist at Columbia as to when I have to return but hopefully that will be in a few weeks.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear about the progress! And glad that you took photos of this lovely peony poppy. I've seen descriptions in catalogs and wondered if they did truly look like peonies... your pictures confirm that. :)

DeniseinVA said...

I do like your macro shots, so enjoyable and that center is striking. Glad that you are having a rest from doctor's appointments this week. Wishing you all the best.

An English Girl Rambles

Christine said...

These are beautiful photos despite the wind. I have red poppies that re-seed themselves every year and I love them. One year I got a lighter pink peony poppy and I haven't a clue how it got there. I saved the seeds but they didn't germinate. :(
I didn't know about your medical condition, and wish you all the best.