Thursday, August 12, 2010

Dwarf Panicle Hydrangea 'Little Lamb'


Dwarf Panicle Hydrangea
Hydrangea paniculata 'Little Lamb'
(hy-DRAIN-juh) (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tuh)

I stumbled on this Hydrangea while at White Flower Farm and must say it blew me away. Its smaller stature with the big puffy flowers was perfect. Developed by Jelena DeBelder in Belgium ‘Little Lamb’ was introduced in 2002. It has the smallest flower petals of any Tree Hydrangea but when they are all together making up the flowers you really don’t notice that they are small. This Hydrangea is also very hardy, being able to make winters in USDA Zone 3. The flowers can fade to a kind of pink in the fall regardless of the soil ph.

It has been quite a week so far. On Monday while making a call on my cellular phone I decided to sit on a garden bench next to a large container of Salvia ‘Black and Blue’. I noticed a kind of buzzing next to my right ear and when I turned around to see what it was there was a Hummingbird about 4 inches from my face. It flew about a foot away and stopped and looked at me before flying off into the big Golden Privet about 20 feet away. We were both surprised and it was the best look I have ever had at the marvelous little creature.

Later that day I was sitting in the same chair that I have used for lunch for many years. After a while there seemed to be quite a few yellow jackets flying around me. I got up and looked and there was a giant underground nest right below the chair, about 6 inches from my backside. Luckily I didn’t get stung but realized one wrong move on my part would have stirred up the whole nest. Needless to say I finished my lunch somewhere else.

No comments: