Sunday, September 17, 2006




Grandiflora Rose
‘Glowing Peace’

This is one from the archives again. It has been really lousy weather the last couple of days so I couldn’t really go out and snap any pictures. ‘Glowing Peace’ is a Grandiflora rose originally hybridized by Meilland Roses and introduced by Conrad-Pyle in the United States. It was produced from Sun King and Roxane and has the esteemed ‘Peace’ rose as a grandparent. I shot this picture at the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden at the New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx. It is a great place to shoot roses. I usually go first thing Sunday morning and briskly walk out to the Rose Garden, which is far from the Conservatory and entrance. It takes a long time before the other visitors make it out to that part of the garden so you have sometime to yourself. It is a wonderful garden filled with many types of roses.

A couple people have emailed me wanting to see some the gardens I work on. Here is kind of a crummy picture of the largest of ‘my’ gardens. Since it is private, and I mean private, we are lucky if we have 50 visitors a year, I won’t say too much about it. I have been working on it for about 20 years now. It has some very interesting plants including a forest of Lacebark Pine (Pinus bungeana), over 80 varieties of Rhododendron and a couple of species too, a large Dogwood and Holly collection and at least 15 to 20 Japanese Maple cultivars. That bluish pyramidal tree to left of the center is a Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum ‘Hazel Smith’). Boy they sure do grow fast. There are about 1,500 species, varieties and cultivars of plants that are cataloged in a big computer database.

No comments: