Monday, September 04, 2006




Variegated Showy Stonecrop
Sedum erythrostictum 'Frosty Morn'
(SEE-dum) (er-ith-roh-STIK-tum)

This is an interesting plant, which blooms late in the season. The main complaint I hear about this plant is that it flops over. I always pinch my Sedum a couple of times a year (before the buds are formed) and this helps keep it standing up. It also delays the bloom, which is especially nice if you have planted it with some Asters or other late blooming perennial. I think this is another plant that is a victim of too much love by gardeners. It likes very lean and on the dry side soil and full sun. It sometimes has stalks that revert to all-green and I always remove those. I have found it to be a nice accent plant that mixes well with Sedum ‘Autumn Joy’ and ‘Purple Dome’ Asters.

Tropical storm ‘Ernesto’ blew through here during the weekend. I will have to wait and see what it did to the shoreline gardens tomorrow. It wasn’t too bad but enough wind and rain to do some damage. I got my show hung at Molten Java’s and it came out well. I might go out and take a couple of pictures today, as it is the Labor Day holiday.

I have updated my other website http://digitalflowerpictures.com with some pictures of my trip to Ireland. I also added some more of the Chihuly exhibit at the New York Botanical Garden on the New York City pages. Let me know what you think!

No comments: