Saturday, September 16, 2006




Tropicanna Canna Lily
Canna x generalis ‘Phaison”
(KAN-uh) (jen-er-RAY-liss)

This is another archive shot and one that is appearing in my photography exhibit. I dearly love Canna lilies. They really are an exotic backbone to the summer garden. I like them because they are so flexible. You can use them in water gardens (right in shallow water), borders, containers and as mass plantings. They are striking in all these roles. This particular cultivar is grown for its amazing foliage. The orange flowers are just a really nice bonus. There are many foliage, flower and height variations available. Some of my favorites are ‘Ambassador’, the ‘Futurity’ dwarf series, and ‘Bengal Tiger’. Generally I like the colored foliage types but the green can be a nice accent also.

I always thought that Cannas were from South Africa but they are native to the New World tropics and subtropics. Some of the 10 species produce edible roots.

I am leaving for Las Vegas this morning, on American Airlines, of course. I am going to a wedding for someone very special. Guess who the photographer is. I am going to keep my eye open for some desert flora but I am not too hopeful. I may or may not be able to post remotely.

No comments: