Thursday, March 08, 2007

Boojum Tree (Fouquieria columnaris)


Boojum Tree
Fouquieria columnaris
(foo-KWEER-ree-uh)

No, I didn’t travel to the Desert Southwest to photograph this tree. There is a healthy specimen growing in the Bronx, New York at the New York Botanical Garden. Indoors, of course. Here is a link to the Wikipedia article on this tree. There are a couple of pictures of the full tree in all it’s upright glory.

There was another record low temperature here last night and it could be again tonight. The sun is at a nice angle now and we may get above freezing today. We haven’t just set the record lows we have smashed them. They are predicting 60’s for next week but I will believe that when I see it.


Synonym: Idria columnaris

1 comment:

Ki said...

I've always wanted to know what a boojum tree looked like but never got around to looking it up. I wouldn't have thought the trunk would be so smooth. Thanks for the photo and wiki link.

Also have enjoyed seeing the orchid pics you took. Made me remember the catteleyas my dad used to grow.