Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Reticulated Iris



Reticulated Iris
Iris reticulata
(EYE-ris) (reh-tick-yoo-LAY-tuh)

I have been working the last couple of days and I must admit that has been therapy in itself. The weather finally has a spring tinge to it and I have been enjoying the sunshine, mild winds and just generally being outside. In between small waves of sadness I have been hit with colossal waves of something much bigger, nature. There is just nothing that can hold back the change in seasons. I don’t think I have ever been more ready for spring. My friend told me he sure was feeling another season older and I would have to agree with him. This could be on of slowest spring I can ever remember here in Connecticut. I have been eagerly scouting around for flowers and was able to find a few Crocuses, the Cornelian Cherry and these Iris. Not much else but I did see a lot of buds swelling. I cut some things to force today including some Forsythia, Cherry and Magnolia. The Daffodils are looking a little sad with the tops of their foliage burnt off. My February Gold daffs look real bad and a couple of flowers looked like they tried to come out in January and were quickly frozen to yellow mush. That is the first year that I think I can remember that happening. They are usually so reliable.

These Dwarf Iris are a tough and hardy bunch. I would recommend them for any garden. They always seem to come back well and the color is terrific for this time of the year. I would recommend planting them in large bunches. I have two colors, a nice blue and a purple. The hint of yellow is complimentary in both cases. They only grow to about 4 inches. The grass-like foliage continues to grow after flowering before disappearing in late spring. They are very slow to multiply but if they are happy become a little clump after awhile. I just read that the flowers are fragrant which I never knew. You will either have to pick them or get down on your hands and knees to smell them. I have some in some normal garden soil that gets average water and some that are in a rocky lean soil and both seem to do equally well. They benefit from not being overly wet in the summer.

This is my first flower picture of the season and probably not the best I have ever taken. I just wanted to tell you about this wonderful little Iris.

2 comments:

Ki said...

Wow, what a wonderful blue. Annie in Austin also mentioned that irises had a scent. I never noticed it before so I was amazed when I read it. And now you confirm it. I'll have to take a whiff when ours blooms. Probably like roses not all have scents though.

chaindropz said...

I have iris, tulips, Ameryllis, and strawberries in the same pot.
It is very crowded but I think they are doing well. It is a swamp pot. It has an inner pot that does not drain and the larger pot has about 4 or 5 inches of very well drained soil. I like your blue iris
Drop by I have posted more flowers.