Thursday, March 22, 2007

Flowering Dogwood (Cornus florida ‘Cherokee Chief’)


Flowering Dogwood
Cornus florida ‘Cherokee Chief’

This is the most popular red Dogwood and I always recommend it. I have seen it go through so much and still be able to be a beautiful tree. Dogwood Tree culture is always an adventure; there are a lot of things that can go wrong. If your Dogwood trees grow straight and strong, which they quite often do, then it is one of the aristocrats of the garden. In some ways this tree symbolizes spring to me more than any other. The trick I have found over the years is to properly site the tree. It grows well in shade but doesn’t really flower very well. Here in Connecticut it can take full sun but does better if it gets a little afternoon shade. I really like them when they are growing on the edge of the woods. Some of the others in the ‘Cherokee’ series I have grown are the variegated ‘Cherokee Sunset’ and ‘Cherokee Daybreak’ and they are both great trees. Dogwood is the state tree of Virginia and Missouri. It is the state flower of North Carolina and Virginia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't get enough of your wonderful photos, especially of my favorite tree. I'm constantly recommending the Cappiello/Shadow book on the genus. BTW, discovered there that 'Sunset' and 'Daybreak' are the actual cultivar names, the others are the trademark (TM) names for these. C. florida 'Sunset' PP6305 actual originated as a branch sport of 'Cherokee Chief'.