Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Red Torch Banana (Musa coccinea)


Red Torch Banana
Musa coccinea
(MEW-suh) (kok-SIN-ee-uh)

This plant was growing at Fairchild Tropical Gardens. I really want to write a long post on my trip to Fairchild. I just haven’t had the time. This picture maybe a little too abstract for some; I was just amazed I could capture the color. This Banana grows 8-10 feet tall and is used for cut flowers and landscaping. It can grow well in a container for us northern gardeners. I have actually grown bananas indoors here in Connecticut (different species). Banana foliage is something I enjoy in the garden as it adds a tropical feeling and its leaves are structural.

This was shot with the D80 and I can’t wait to do some flower photography with it this spring. That’s if spring ever comes, as it suppose to snow here again on Saturday. I went to work yesterday and I am a bit of a hurting unit. It will take awhile to get back into shape. I didn’t get my hands dirty like I wanted to it was more like I got my hands oily and greasy starting up the power equipment.



Synonyms: scarlet banana, red flowering Thai banana, guineo de fuego,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, I got here via a link on Outdoor Eyes. I've enjoyed reading it, and seeing the photos of these wonderful plants. And, last but not least, I'm now able to put a associate a name with your cryptic tag!

I appreciate the time and effort that you put into doing the blog, and I hope to be back regularly.

Warm regards,
Tim Jackson

Digital Flower Pictures said...

TJ, thanks for stopping by. Please leave some photography tips if you have the chance.