Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Cattleya Sierra Blanca 'Mount Whitney'


Cattleya Sierra Blanca 'Mount Whitney'
(KAT-lee-yuh)

I am trying to get in the habit of posting here everyday. It looks like the weather is going to be good enough to return to work next week. I sure hope so as I am starting to get a little bored (a lot, actually). Since we had record cold temperatures here this week I will post another Florida flower. This Orchid was photographed at the AOS Visitors Center and Botanical Garden in Delray Beach, Florida. They had a wonderful array of flowers in the Orchid Houses and the gardens were interesting and well furnished with a lot of plants. They had two specimens of Mast Tree (Polyalthia longifolia var. Pendula), which was something I had only seen in plant books. They aren’t for everyone with their narrow pendulous shape but I liked them. The Visitor Center and staff were very nice also. They had a Botanical Photography exhibit that was exceptional. I don’t remember the name of the artist but his work was amazing. The AOS Garden is right next door to the Morikami Gardens and both places are easily toured in one day. This white Orchid was one of several that had huge flowers.

Additional cultivar information: (C. Athena Chagaris x C. Norton Benis)

1 comment:

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Just a note the garden at the Visitor Center is closed now.