Monday, March 26, 2007



I am going to suspend my usual speaking of about gardening and plants to announce that today my dear sweet Mother gave up her nearly 10 year fight with a rare blood disease. Her life had become an endless battle of doctor visits, medical tests, prescription drugs and generally not feeling well. While I am overcome with grief I can’t help but think that she is in a better place and that her struggles are finally over. As an artist, she always encouraged my artistic endeavors from the art set, that we really couldn’t afford, she gave me when I was 4 years old to the vintage guitar she bought me when I was 16, right up to the end as she encouraged me to continue to explore my photography. She was the one that got me interested in gardening and plants by having me work in our greenhouses and display gardens from a very young age. It is said that God created Mothers because he could not be everywhere all the time and I can’t think of anyone I would have wanted to protect and shepherd through my younger years more than her. She was both a wonderful and brilliant Mother. As she was a strong believer in the afterlife and a very spiritual person (but not in a traditional way) I am sure her journey is just beginning. Godspeed to you Mom, and while I will miss you I am sure that you will impart happiness and shed wisdom on all the people you will meet, just as you did here. The last thing she told me was ‘I love you’.

Peonies were one of her favorite flowers so I am posting this Peony bud as a symbol of what is to come and hope in the future. I think she would have liked that.


Since she was very happy and proud about me learning Spanish:

“la madre va con Dios”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am very sorry for your loss... but what a wonderful tribute.