Sunday, May 24, 2009

Three Generation Bearded Iris


Bearded Iris
Iris germanica
(EYE-ris) (jer-MAN-ih-kuh)

While waiting for someone to come out of the house I saw this patch of Iris. It was quite beautiful and I knew it was old. The way it was growing right next to the side door looked old, too. The owner told me that it had been her grandmother’s and then her mother’s Iris. Guessing this person was in her early 70’s that would make this Iris variety old indeed. You could tell it wasn’t a modern showy hybrid but it did have dignity and class. The muted color (compared to today’s Iris) was just right.

Some of the Irises were blooming at work. Two of my favorites are this peach ones and the red ones. It was really windy when these were taken and I had to wait for the wind to die down before snapping.




For more flower pictures from around the world check out:
Today’s Flowers . It starts at 14:00 GMT on Sunday.

9 comments:

Indrani said...

Lovely flowers!
I have to attempt nurturing them. :)

Rune Eide said...

Irises are one of natures buties - as you have shown. Very nice photography - clear and sharp.

Gunilla said...

Fantastic photos of the iris.
The last iris is very beautiful and a lovely colour.

Thanks for sharing

Gunilla in Sweden

Unknown said...

I am suffering from Iris envy!!

VALKYRIEN said...

Wonderful different Iris! And great shots! So sharp you can see all the beauty in that strange but beautiful flower!

Arija said...

The germanica Iris has a delightful vanilla scent unlike the modern cultivars.
Nice photos.

Kathy W said...

I love Iris. All those ones around here are gone now but they were pretty while they lasted. I love the deep purple colored one. =) Hope you have a wonderful week.

DeniseinVA said...

Stunning photographs! Thank you very much for sharing them with Today's Flowers.

Unknown said...

Such a good point about the "old" irises... there's a patch of iris on either side of the porch stairs at one of the houses my dog and I regularly pass on our walks. It's kind of a garish combination of gold and maroon, so I could never figure out why I like it so much. Reading your post, it finally clicked. :)

(That said, I adore the peachy iris as well. I think there's a place and time for both!)