Sunday, June 21, 2009

Corona Cherry Magic China Pinks

China Pinks
Dianthus x chinensis 'Corona Cherry Magic'
(dy-AN-thus)
Synonyms: Chinese Pinks, Dianthus

This little Dianthus has been blooming for a couple of weeks now. The flowers are a mix of red, white and lavender and you never know what it is going to come out with next. The shading is quite striking and the flowers are considered the largest for Dianthus. It grows compactly to about 9 to 12 inches and the foliage is an attractive gray-green. So far it has survived one winter and I hope it sticks around since it makes a nice edging plant but I have feeling it is biennial.

Dianthus like moist but well drained soil with some organic matter but can be adaptable to other conditions. In my experience if your Dianthus is located in good position they flourish with minimal care. They can struggle if things are not to their liking.

Here is an extra flower since it is Sunday and that means its Today’s Flowers. This is an easy group for me to participate in since there are usually flower pictures posted here anyway. I like browsing the various posters flower and garden shots from around the world. The links open at 1400 GMT.


Check it out here:
Today’s Flowers

This second picture is from a little cutting garden we planted in Greenwich. It is a Dinnerplate Dahlia, which can get huge flowers that are up 12 inches across. This one is called ‘Babylon Bronze’ and so far is the most floriferous of the Dahlias but the others are starting to catch up.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the dianthus, though the dahlia is no slouch either. I'm more inclined to grow various dianthus in our gardens than dahlias, though. The latter want a bit more heat and sun than my foggy garden can give them, I've learned from experience.

SquirrelQueen said...

I love the color on this dianthus. I just saw the dahlia you have posted below and it is beautiful also.

SQ

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammie Lee said...

beautiful flowers!

VALKYRIEN said...

Lovely flowers for Today's Flowers! I am a sucker for waterdrops on flowers, so I simply love the last one!

Have a nice Sunday!
Valkyrien

david mcmahon said...

Superb shots - as always. By the way, a long overdue question - would you care to do a Sunday Roast interview?

Randi said...

I love the colours of your beautiful dianthus!

Sandy Kessler said...

at one time I thought all flowers were one color. oh how very wrong my child

Vicky said...

I like the name "corona cherry magic china pinks". a bit long though.
great shot, thanks for sharing.
have a nice day.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Both flowers are o so stunningly beautiful!

Cheffie-Mom said...

Beautiful! Congrats on the Post of the Day Award!

Elizabeth Bradley said...

You have some lovely flowers on display. Glad I dropped by for the view. Congrats on POTD!

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Here from David's to enjoy this gorgeous post!!!!