Friday, June 05, 2009

Home Run Shrub Rose


Shrub Rose
Rosa 'Home Run'
Synonym: WEKcisbako

It has been awhile since a rose was posted on this site. We have been doing a lot of planting and I thought I would grab a picture of the two ‘Home Run’ roses we put in. I was going to get two red ‘Knockout’ roses but they had a little disease setting in so I remembered a friend had recommended ‘Home Run’. It turns out that ‘Home Run’ has it’s own website at Weeks Roses. Click here to see a slideshow about ‘Making a New Rose’. I found it quite interesting.

This next rose is a large flowered climbing rose called ’Don Juan’. It was really red and the color in this picture doesn’t show the shadings to almost black in the flower color. It had a nice fragrance. Jackson & Perkins Co. introduced this hybrid tea rose to the United States. It was developed by Michele Malandrone (Italy) in 1958.

2 comments:

Kathleen Blanchard said...

Oh so beautiful. Roses are my favorite. I like the Reiger begonia because the flowers look so rose-like. Right now, my gardenias are fragrancing the air around my house. Yummmmmmmm!

GartenGrl said...

Lovely pics!
GartenGrl at Planning Plants to Plant