Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bengal Orange Bougainvillea


Bougainvillea
Bougainvillea ‘Bengal Orange’
(boo-gan-VIL-lee-uh)

This is a relatively compact form of Bougainvillea. It really should be named ‘Bengal Pink’ as the orange color is not that apparent. It has the strange property of being more orange when viewed from a few steps back and looks pinker up close. The leaves are strongly variegated with a nice shade of dark green and light cream.

I had petty much given up on growing Bougainvillea in containers other than the few that hang around the conservatory. Resisting their colors and the tropical flair they had to the garden is proving difficult.

2 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Beautiful. Without the name, I would not think of the orange.

Unknown said...

I wouldn't have thought it orange, either! Gorgeous pic--and I know what you mean, I've seen that color that reads "orange" from afar but "pink" up close before.