Sunday, June 06, 2010

Today's Flower Polyantha Rose



Polyantha Rose ‘Margo Koster’

This is a rose type that is a little forgotten these days. Polyantha roses have been around a long time (introduced in 1875) but have recently been overshadowed by the floribunda types. They are known for having trusses of small flowers continually through the season, while keeping a small and tidy habit. These roses are not particularly hardy and a good choice for southern gardens. There is one type that I see around here and seems hardy and prolific called the Fairy rose.

‘Margo Koster’ was discovered in the Netherlands in 1931. It grows to 2 to 2.5 feet tall and blooms throughout the season. I have to admit lately I am a sucker for any flower with this coral color. There seems to be more and more flowers being introduced with this color and that is okay with me.

See more flowers from all over the world at Today’s Flowers .

Since it is Sunday I like to add a bonus flower.


Malope ‘Queen Mix’
Malope trifida
(MAL-oh-pee) (TRY-fee-duh)
Synonyms: Mallowwort, Purple Spanish Mallow

Malope is an attractive member of the Mallow family (Malvaceae). This plant is considered a half hardy annual that often reseeds itself. It is generally tall plant but the flowers are small but come in colors that make a nice display.

13 comments:

Leora said...

Your mallow shot is so elegant. Love how the center is in focus and the outer petals blur.

Your rose post, about the 1875 rose, reminds me to trim my rose bush. (it's probably a floribunda)

Carletta said...

What a lovely rose that I wouldn't haven't guessed was a rose! :)
Love the light in that shot. It certainly highlights the beautiful color.
Nice macro of the Malope.

i beati said...

you know we see tons and tons of flowers but we never see them all Sandy

Christine said...

I used to have The Fairy in my Sacramento valley garden but had to leave it behind when we moved to the coast. You've given me fresh interest in polyanthus roses, especially with that beautiful photo. The mallow shot is fantastic!

http://graceolsson.com/blog said...

i love it both..but the BOINUS..U CAN SEND TO ME....HAHAHAHAHHAH
WONDERFUL
NICE WEEK
http://graceolsson.com/blog/2010/06/happened-in-tallinn-estonia/

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

DFP: What a wonderful show your flowers have, you capture them beautifully.

Pat said...

I, too would not have guessed the first flower was a rose. It's quite unique and pretty. The mallow is very pretty and delicate, too.

Quilt Works said...

I like both flowers - thank you for the bonus! Love the delicate stripes of purple!


Quiltworks

Kim, USA said...

Love the color on the petal so beautiful! Happy Sunday!


My Flowers

roses philippines said...

How easy grow this? I really like the color so attractive for me.

vee

jabblog said...

Beautiful flowers! I love roses but they have to work really hard to earn their place - scent, colour, repeat/continuous flowering and resistance to disease is a bonus! I like your mallow. Our neighbour has one and it blooms profusely - very pretty. We planted one but it died after a couple of years.

EG CameraGirl said...

The polyantha 'The Fairy' likes my garden so I like it. :) I've never heard of 'Margo Koster'. I should research it.

DeniseinVA said...

Oh wow, absolutely fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing. Really appreciate the information on them too, as I always love learning about flowers.