Sunday, December 11, 2011

Hardy Water Lily



Hardy Water Lily
Nymphaea cv.

(NIM-fee-uh)


Captured this summer the white flower of this waterlily looked good against the green leaves and black water. I must have been pretty close because the 60mm/2.8 lens was used.


There is a big battle going on in my lens bag between the 60mm and 105mm Nikon macro lenses. The 60mm will always have a place in my heart because it was the first really good lens that I got and it takes really nice pictures. The 60mm focal range is also good for a “walk around” or general purpose lens. It is exceptionally tough and rugged, which is always a bonus when you are owned by me. The 105mm macro lens has been a Nikon standard and is a great lens. The longer reach makes it easier to take some pictures, especially of insects. On the plus side this lens has the beautiful bokeh and it seems to deal with the light and shadows very well. It is totally amazing to me what this lens does in lowlight. On the negative side it is a large lens that costs twice as much as the 60mm. I think a shootout is called for this spring. Where the same flower is shot alternately with each lens under the same settings and lighting. Both are great lenses but usually I just like to carry one with me.


Since it is Sunday come join us at Today’s Flowers. Sunday also means a bonus snapshot.


This field of yellow Daises sure was pretty. I am not sure of the genus/species but think it might be a perennial form of Anthemis.


A lot of people are always asking what my favorite flower is and seem a little disappointed when I say Daisy (must have been expecting something more exotic lol). To me Daisies are just beautiful due to their simple simplicity and elegance. They have the perfect understated sophistication to me. Their trait of blooming en masse is also nice. You can also play “Loves me, Loves me not” with them.


5 comments:

NatureFootstep said...

I love that water lily. You captured a beautiful light on it too. .)

DeniseinVA said...

Two beautiful photos, lovely composition in each.

Arija said...

I am looking forward to your shoot-out between the lenses. Nice shots.

Your comment made me smile to hear your surprise that we are enjoying summer while you are in the opposite season. To me it is a natural fact to be aware of the different seasons in different hemispheres as I am also aware of the different climates within each hemisphere.

SandyCarlson said...

Thanks for the scoop on lenses with this beautiful water lily. That's a great composition. So many planes.

Ruby said...

Great images. Daisies are the friendliest flowers!