Sunday, February 25, 2007

Morikami Gardens


Morikami Gardens
Delray Beach, Florida

This is quite a garden. The large scale gives enough room for the various types of gardens and they are really separate. It was by far the largest Japanese Garden that I have been to. I like Japanese Gardens but they are generally too sparsely planted for me. Don't get me wrong they have a fine plant collection at Morikami , it has been carefully chosen and thoughtfully placed. I can appreciate all the work that goes into a garden like this. From the designing to the impeccable maintenance you could tell this was a well-loved garden. They had some interesting history on the town of Yamoto, Florida in the small museum. I took this picture with a warming filter it was taken in the early afternoon. Don't miss the Koi. They are among the largest and most active I have seen. You may have to wait a couple of minutes to get on the platform but you can gaze on the impressive Bonsai Collection while you wait.

There is the Botanical Garden at the AOS headquarters right along the same driveway as Morikami. It is also worth the stop.

I also attended the Garlic Fest in downtown Delray Beach. We had fun walking around the nice shops and the green market. The Garlic Fest was interesting. Who would have ever thought of some of the things they could make out of garlic.

No comments: