Wednesday, February 28, 2007

American Moth Orchid (xOdontocidium Wildcat ‘Everlasting’)


American Moth Orchid
xOdontocidium Wildcat ‘Everlasting’

I went to the The Orchid Show at the Botanical Gardens in the Bronx. This is the second year in a row I have attended. Both shows were fantastic with copious amounts of flowers and colors. You have to walk all the way through the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory to reach the orchids. I took advantage of the Skywalk and lingered in the room with the Water Garden (it probably has a name). There are several huge specimens of Tropical Vines growing above the water and they always seem to have at least some flowers. I think there might have been a few less Orchids this year but they had more oddballs. All the flowers were well marked. A couple of the displays were really awesome with the mix of types and colors. The best flower in the show for me was The Comet Orchid that was in full bloom. I hadn’t seen one before and wanted to find out a little more about it. It is quite an interesting story that can be found here. It was set in the back of the display and I just couldn’t reach it with the 70mm. There were a lot of shutterbugs at the show with some professionals mixing in with the camera phone people and even a TV crew filming a spot for the evening news. I got some nice Orchid pictures but I am still wading through some of my Florida pictures. I will try and go through the Orchid pictures in the next couple days,

No comments: