Sunday, December 14, 2008

Korean Chrysanthemum ‘Shell Pink’

Korean Chrysanthemum
Chrysanthemum NYBG Series ‘Shell Pink’
(kris-AN-the-mum)
Today’s Flower

Today’s Flower is an easy meme for this site to participate in. We are usually posting flower pictures anyway. This mum was taken at the New York Botanical Garden this fall. The slightly twisted petals and soft color made it a real treat. There have been several other mums in the NYBG series featured on this site before. It is an amazing strain with each named variety having a nice color and habit.

Here is a link to some information on Korean Chrysanthemums:
www.chrysanthemums.info
There is a lot of information on mums at that site and I bookmarked it for some further reading and reference later on.


To me the Koreans are always nice to have in the garden. They are much more of a border or garden plant than the hardy mums. They can be a lot more difficult to get and of course are more expensive. Recently I was gardening in a little neighborhood in White Plains, New York when I noticed a beautiful yellow flower blooming a couple of houses down. Upon further investigation I found it was a Korean Chrysanthemum. It still was looking good a couple of weeks later than any other perennials.

Today’s Flower is a collection of Flower Pictures from around the world posted every Sunday starting at 7:00pm - GMT.
Today’s Flowers Main Page

17 comments:

DrowseyMonkey-Photos said...

Oh wow! I've never seen anything like these - they're beautiful :) And so interesting.

Anonymous said...

Oh how nice! That is one pretty flower.

My Today's Flower is posted here. Please drop by if you have the time. Thanks!

Redzlan said...

Beautiful and I love the 'tentacles' petals.
Very difference for our Chrysanthemum here.
Thanks for sharing.

Gill - That British Woman said...

what a lovely flower, I don't think I have ever seen one like that before.......

Gill in Canada

Arija said...

They are so very pretty and star like.

Anonymous said...

What a fun flower this is..
Have a wonderful week.

Leora said...

So interesting. I love the combination of yellow and purple in nature.

Laerte Pupo said...

Beautiful flower and interesting.

david mcmahon said...

Great shots - they look like some sort of sea anemone.

VERY interesting to see that you mentioned the arome of a geranium in my post. Yup, I know what you mean!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting the picture and information of the Korean Chrysanthemum. This a very unique looking plant.
- Cheers.

Michele said...

It's a beautiful flower... I am very impressed! I am so glad I came by to learn of this!
~Michele~

Anonymous said...

These petals of the flower looks real interesting!! White and yellow are definitely a good combination :)

Norm said...

first time I see mums like this, so unique and of course very beautiful, thanks for sharing..

Anonymous said...

I've never seen that and your photos are so beautiful..perfect to cheer up for my gray Sunday...

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

The Chrysanthemums are very beautiful with their twisted petals and dainty colouring. I have not seen those around here. I grow the very simple hardy ones. I love their sturdiness and strong colours. I have tried fancier ones but they have not done well in my climate.

Lilli & Nevada said...

so pretty.

ChrisJ said...

Love this flower and especially the color. All so delicate. Just beautiful.