Friday, July 23, 2010

Red Cestrum


Red Cestrum
Cestrum elegans
(SES-trum) (ELL-eh-ganz)
Synonyms: Cestrum purpureum

When this picture was taken it was one of times that I didn’t know what the name of the flower was but figured that later it would be easy to identify and learn a little about it. It really took a while this time as the date was January 12, 2009. This file was found as I continue to try and organize my hard drive and get rid of unwanted photos.

As I remember it this was a nice plant with a little bit of a rangy habit but nice color. The flowers were almost more sophisticated than the plant. It is a native of Mexico and is quite tender having to be brought indoors in Zones 8 and lower. Cestrum can grow large (3 meters tall) and likes light shade or full sun. It can tolerate some drought but will bloom better if watered regularly. This plant is useful in attracting butterflies and hummingbirds to your garden.

2 comments:

Kala said...

Beautiful little flowers. If I ever do have an opportunity to plant a proper garden, I will definitely want to attract butterflies and hummingbirds.

lbc flower delivery philippines said...

Oh' this Red Cestrum was so cute! this is the first time I saw this flower. Thanks for sharing this post. Can you post more information about it?

-yumi-