Monday, January 05, 2009

Two Orchids

Beallara Pacific TreasuresEverything Nice

A couple of Orchids to start off the week, along with some freezing rain here. Both of these Orchids were growing at a local wholesale Orchid nursery. They have quite a collection of varieties and types and usually there are a good number in flower. They grow a lot and also have the ‘exotics’ shipped in every Tuesday.

The Sigma EX 24mm/1.8 did a nice job considering the amount of light that was available. In general it is a nice lens and gives you a good chance to get the shot.

This second Orchid is ‘Vuylstekeara Fall In Love’, I think. It is pronounced vul-stek-ee-AH-ruh. This is like the trigeneric hybrid that was featured here a couple of weeks ago. The three genus contributors are Miltonia x Odontoglossum x Cochlioda. I try and never get intimidated by the fancy names of the Orchid genera and species. I just learn them when I can but first and foremost appreciate the beauty of the flower.

3 comments:

WiseAcre said...

I'm never disappointed when I visit.

‘Everything Nice’ made my day :)

Further down I got transported to the past by the 'Nantucket'and the summer spent on the island.

Anonymous said...

The first orchid caught my attention. It gives me a picture of leopard skin when I look at it. Another peculiar find.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

WiseAcre, thanks and Happy New Year.

Flower thanks for visiting.