Saturday, January 31, 2009

Silken Pincushion Cactus


Silken Pincushion Cactus
Mammillaria bombycina
(mam-mil-AR-ee-uh) (bom-BEE-kin-uh)
Synonyms: Chilita bombycina, Ebnerella bombycina

Pincushion Cactus is a generic name for about 170 species of Cactus mostly native to Mexico. It also covers several other genera. This little specimen was growing in Tucson and you can see just starting to flower. It had formed a nice low growing colony about 2 feet wide and 2 feet long. The white tops made an interesting contrast with the flowers and spines.

I have been really lazy about doing anything including taking pictures but I am going to go out today. There are a couple of nice Bird of Paradise flowers in the foundation planting of the house and they looking like a good candidate for pictures.

6 comments:

Les said...

I love that genus name.

Priscilla George said...

Wonderful photo. It's really funny because I read this post this morning and thought how I would love to have one of those. Then after work I went to the garden center on the hunt for some plants and hopefully some begonias. Guess what I saw? There was a cactus just like this one with flowers just showing in the same color just like your photo. I wanted it but got 2 begonias, a Cryptanthus 'Red Star', and an echeveria. Hopefully next time when I have more money I can get one!

Wonderful photo! We all have our lazy times that is for sure.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi Les, it is kind of funny.

VL, At least you got something at the nursery. That is always fun. The Cactus is easy to propagate so maybe you cab get one that way.

Judy said...

This is lovely! You seldom see cacti flowering around here, so the colour is surprising!!

arleena said...

So beautiful pics.

LOURDES C COSTA said...

Nice series of flowers....
I love the last one...gorgeous the Cactus...
Greetings from Portugal