Saturday, March 28, 2009

Bush Lily


Bush Lily
Clivia miniata
(KLY-vee-uh)

This Clivia was blooming at Wave Hill. There is one of these at the Conservatory at work also. Only the yellow one at work doesn’t look like it is going to bloom this year. Last year was the first year it had ever bloomed and I had hoped that would be the start of having it bloom every year. The orange Clivia at work has some buds on it. I remember I divided it one time and it took about ten years for it to start to flower again. For the yellow one I am going to try and keep it cool and dry for the autumn and see what happens.

Clivias are native to South Africa and are members of the Amaryllis (Amaryllidaceae) family. They like shade and can withstand high temperatures but not blazing sun. It is a plant than can survive quite a bit of neglect. We take ours outside for the summer but have to put them inside during the winter. They can survive temperatures as low as 36 degrees F.


Plan your year in the spring, your day at dawn.
Chinese Proverb

6 comments:

Sandra said...

I'm not familiar with Clivia, but it is beautiful, as are your photos of it.

Les said...

I never heard it refered to as Bush Lily. No matter what it is called the one I have had for years has never bloomed, but the foliage is nice.

ChrisJ said...

That first flower is a true cream color. Makes me dream of "Cream Teas" served in England with real whipped cream.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi Sande.

Les, maybe someone divided it before you got it. The photo period is important for blossoms.

Chris, that is a nice soft volor.

Judy said...

These are beautiful flowers!! I like the second photo for the shadows of the stamens!

Brad the Builder said...

Absolutely beautiful flowers