Thursday, March 19, 2009

Garden Phlox

Garden Phlox
Phlox paniculata 'Eva Cullum'
(floks) (pan-ick-yoo-LAY-tuh)

This was quite a special Garden Phlox last summer. The color and shading of the flowers are intense. The fragrance is very nice, too. The sturdy plant grows to 3-4 feet tall and it is prone to getting powdery mildew. Last year my plants bloomed nicely and then got some mildew. It was after we cut them back to encourage a little more blooming. Eventually I cut the plant back to ground.

Having been spoiled growing some of the mildew resistant Phlox it was a little bit of a let down. This year ‘Eva Cullum’ will probably get one spray of fungicide to try and help it through the rest of season. Phlox is a little extra work but it is a great addition to the garden.

We are back to work full time now and it has been tiring. The winter seemed kind of harsh to the gardens and there is much clean up work to do.

This is kind of a fun picture that was taken inside the Conservatory at the New York Botanical Garden. Make sure you click it to see the detail. I really felt like I was in the rain forest.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Hi! I'm a new visitor. I checked out your photos at the digital flower website. Absolutely beautiful! You are an excellent photographer! Thanks for posting.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Hi Sande,

Thanks for visiting. I visited your site but couldn't leave a comment. Mac/Firefox doesn't seem to like that Open ID comment form.

Deb said...

I love the top flower picture, so pretty, thank you for stopping by to visit, please come back anytime!

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

This is wonderful. Works so well in black and white. I love your flower themed Skywatch shots too!
Janice.