Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pale Crocus and Andromeda

Pale Crocus and Andromeda

To contrast to the Purple Crocuses that were posted the other day these pale beauties are here today. It finally warmed up enough (not very warm, mind you) that the Crocus opened up. These were growing in a very off area of the garden and must have seeded. However they got there it was quite a treat to see them. There isn’t much blooming but at this garden they did have some Andromeda (Pieris) just starting to bloom. I helped myself to the fragrance, which is quite beautiful.


There was also a Jelena Witch Hazel blooming and those shots didn’t really come out as well as they could have so I am going to tackle that again on Friday. Witch Hazel flowers are quite alluring to look at but difficult to photograph. The Witch Hazels are actually finishing blooming now. They start flowering in February.

The Helleborus were starting to bloom a bit. I am probably the only gardener in the world that isn’t crazy about them. They are nice to have in the garden, especially the darker strains, but really only work for me in mass plantings. They are brave to get up and bloom this time of year. It was a little warmer today but still not really like spring. We really need some rain and some warm temperatures to get things rolling.


In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.

Margaret Atwood
Canadian, b.1939

4 comments:

i beati said...

breathtaking color sandy

Les said...

I love that quote!

Anonymous said...

wow those flowers are colorful and attractive.I never seen flowers like that in real.Wish i can see someday.


-Ava

Judy said...

I love the delicate blue of these crocuses! And I have never heard of the andromeda before! It looks interesting!