Monday, July 20, 2009

Fanfare Indian Blanket Flower



Indian Blanket
Gaillardia x grandiflora 'Fanfare'
(gay-LAR-dee-uh) (gran-dih-FLOR-uh)

I hadn’t seen this variety of Blanket Flower before so while getting its picture this bee flown into the frame. Neither the camera nor I were quite ready for that but it worked out. ‘Fanfare’ has a remarkable flower color on a compact plant. The flowers seem a little more incised than the normal Gaillardias. It is a sport of ‘Dazzler’ Blanket Flower. If you don’t know what a sport is in botany it is defined as “an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation.”

Blanket Flowers are getting more popular. Earlier this year, on this site, I was lamenting how few cultivars the nurseries were carrying around here. This year there was a lot more to choose from, which is the beginning of a trend, I hope. Until further notice I am considering these flowers as annuals. They just don’t seem to come back for us.

Since it is Ruby Tuesday here is a shot that I have been holding on to for awhile. It is a rare flower since until recently they didn’t think there were any red flowered Hoyas. It is a strange little plant and the flowers are weird and unusual. This picture is from the Main Greenhouse at Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay, New York. They had several species of Hoya and they were all blooming on the tenth of May. This one didn’t have a proper identification tag but did have a little sign like they use at a steakhouse that said ‘Rare’.

Wax Plant
Hoya
(HOY-a)
Synonym: Porcelain Flower

5 comments:

Arija said...

Both photos are very beautiful, especially the first with the added bonus of the bumble bee. The Hoya too is a marvellous shot.

Carletta said...

Sometimes I don't see those little bees until I download. :)
Beautiful shots!

Hootin Anni said...

I've never seen such a deep dark rich red Hoya blossom...mine have always been pink.

My Ruby Tuesday is posted...scroll down below my CATS post. Hope to see that you came for a visit today if you found some time.

Happy day to you.

Pollyanna said...

Outstanding capture! The honey bee is a perfect addition.

Visit my ruby at:
http://www.photogra-me.blogspot.com

Dianne said...

how kind of the bee to buzz on in

love the wax plant!!