Thursday, July 02, 2009

Green Wizard Western Coneflower


Western Coneflower
Rudbeckia occidentalis 'Green Wizard'
(rud-BEK-ee-a) (ok-sih-den-TAY-liss)
Synonyms: Green Coneflower

This plant has to be considered a novelty. It is like a Coneflower without the flower part. It might look good intermingled with regular Coneflower but I am not too sure about that. This one was growing in a group of ‘Green Wizard’ by itself and it really didn’t do much for me. They grow to 36 inches tall and are hardy to USDA Zone 3.


Coneflower
Echinacea 'Tiki Torch'
(ek-in-AY-shee-a)

Since “Green Wizard’ doesn’t really look like a flower I thought I would post this picture today also. Another one in the long parade of Coneflower introductions ‘Tiki Torch’ does have an unusual and striking flower color. One thing I am finding with the D700 photos is they are a lot harder to crush down to blog size than the D70. Some of the color definitely washed out on this pic but you can still see that it is a nice orange.

We are headed up to Maine for the holiday. I am looking forward to getting away for a few days and seeing Karen’s people. Not sure what the internet situation is going to be so if you don’t see me around here you will know why.

No comments: