Monday, July 13, 2009

Daylily - Lyttleton

Daylily
Hemerocallis 'Lyttleton'
(hem-er-oh-KAL-iss)

There is going to be some Daylilies posted around here this week. I went to the New York Botanical Garden yesterday and the Daffodil and Daylily Walk was in almost in full bloom. There was a myriad of shapes colors, and sizes. I walked up and down a dozen times and always noticed new ones each time.

I changed the Saturation setting to Vivid on the D700. Wow, some of the pictures came out with super saturation. It isn’t a bad look to me but I think I will back it off a bit before posting the pictures here or doing any printing. This first picture was left as is and was with the 60mm Micro-Nikkor lens.

This Daylily was cute, the flowers were about 2 and half inches across and that seemed pretty small compared some to its neighbors in the border. The plant was about 20 inches tall. It was introduced in 1980. This flower was kind of a refined and much more beautiful type of 'Stella D'Oro'. Somebody I know called 'Stella D'Oro' a ditch lily the other day. It’s not my favorite but I wouldn’t go that far.

Here is another Daylily called 'Calistoga Sun'. Its flowers were way bigger than 'Lyttleton' and really had a beautiful range of orange and yellow shades. I am assuming this is named after the town in California’s Napa Valley. If so, I think the name is fitting. This picture was taken with the D70s and the 105mm VR lens.

1 comment:

Arija said...

Both beautiful shots. The first is quite startling.