Friday, July 10, 2009



The name of this Rudbeckia has been lost but this is its second year and it is fabulous. The plants have doubled and are completely covered with flowers. The flower size is pretty big and the plant has grown to about 30 inches tall. It is slightly flopping but I just pruned off the stalks that were covering the Angelonia, Coral Bells and RudbeckiaAutumn Sun’. Those stalks are already making new buds where they were cut.

This was in an area that the people had always just planted annuals. My strategy is to plant a layer of bulbs (done) and some perennials and annuals in the beds and it really worked with this Rudbeckia. Some of the other plants I have been using are Coral Bells (Heuchera 'Creme Brulee'), Liatris, and a lot of different Daylilies. This year I am trying some new plants like Summer King Foxglove, Rogerseria and some Artemesia. It is nice to have the luxury of filling in with annuals that way if something malfunctions you can just add more flowers.

I am glad this week is over. Tuesday I set a personal record of working at 5 different gardens in one day. They were spread out over two counties. Overall it was a rewarding day and I got a lot of loose ends tied up. I am, however, looking forward to the weekend.

This flower seemed a little shy. It was like it was covering its face.

1 comment:

Indrani said...

Yes, as if peeping through the petals. :)