Sunday, July 12, 2009

Pink Elf Hydrangea and Bubblegum Petunias


Dwarf Hydrangea
Hydrangea macrophylla 'Pia'
(hy-DRAIN-juh) (mak-roh-FIL-uh)
Synonym: 'Pink Elf
Today’s Flowers

After seeing this Hydrangea at the Brooklyn Botanical Garden and posting about it here I decided to try a couple in the new garden we installed last year. It made it through the winter and is now in full bloom. There are a couple of things I like about ‘Pia’ including its small stature and flower color. The garden is full of blue Hydrangea so it a nice contrast to have a few pink ones. They are planted in front of some blue ‘Endless Summer’ Hydrangeas and they look good together.


Hybrid Petunia
Petunia 'Supertunia Vista Bubblegum'
(peh-TEWN-ya)

A lot of our Petunias got either too wet or eaten by the slugs this year. However, this variety has been outstanding. It has just been a carpet of color and is vigorously spreading. I wished I had just used these instead of some of the other types of Petunias. Proven Winners introduced this Petunia in 2005 and I have the feeling it is going to be around a long time. The other Supertunias have been doing okay but not like ‘Bubblegum’.

For more flower pictures from around the world check out:
Today’s Flowers . The links open at 1400 GMT.

7 comments:

Carletta said...

I've never seen that kind of hydrangea. Lovely light captured in the photo.
The petunias do have that pink bubblegum color I remember so well.
Really lovely shots!
My post is here: Carletta’s Captures.

Pollyanna said...

Very beautiful! The hydrangea flowers even have a little elfin face look.

DeniseinVA said...

Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

DFP: My that Hydrangea is a real beauty, cute name for the petunia.

SandyCarlson said...

Most excellent. I like the color of that hydrangea, and I am going go get that supertunia if it's the last thing I do. The slugs this year left me thinking my regular dudes were optical illusions. Now I know.

Mia N said...

Lovely petunias.
I have never had petunias in my yard, but this spring I deseded to buy 3 palts. In Finland the weather is often rainy and I thinked, it's not good for theses flowers, but I was wrong.
Even today my petuniuas are goodloking under the rain.
Hope, you understand my bad english...heheh
Thank you for your nice comment in my blog.

Michele said...

I saw Bubblegum Petunias and Pink Elf Hydrangea and I had all sorts of neat fantasy images dancing through my mind... heh.
What a beautiful post.. colors are just amazing!

I appreciate your comment. I'm glad you are able to make it out to BC occasionally, it is a pretty province, that's for sure.

Take care.