Saturday, November 21, 2009

Moth Orchid



Moth Orchid
Phalaenopsis
(fay-lay-NOP-sis)

This Orchid is from the summer and the pictures have been sitting in the “To Be Used” folder on my hard drive. The Black and white is a monochrome shot from the D700. It just seems easier to me to have the camera do the conversion work then trying to change a color photo. My Nikon Coolpix 8400 has an electronic viewfinder and the view actually turns to b&w before you take the picture, which is helpful in composition. The D700 doesn’t do that and I wish it did.


Moth Orchids are easy to grow and come in a wide variety of colors and spots. I thought this one was nice since you don’t see to many with light spots.

Here is a link for the care of Phalaenopsis Orchids:
Plant-Care.com

6 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Orchids are such a treat.

ellen said...

enliven the spirit! love it.

Magdalena said...

Orchids are such a lovely flower and they bloom several times a year. Great shots...

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Very pretty, you are right the ones with spotty faces are not so common!
I got one for my birthday white and pink. Keep this one indoors. Generally grow all my orchids on trees or hanging pots outdoors. I am not a photographic expert, but I think orchids lend themselves better to colour. Anyway the black and white looks interesting.

Maybach Middle East said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah said...

These are really gorgeous pictures. I very rarely see orchids in black and white (and I see a LOT of orchid pictures). The care resource you gave is a good one, as is the one below:
http://www.orchidgrowingessentials.com/orchidea-phalaenopsis

Thanks so much for sharing.