Monday, January 31, 2011

Magnolia 'Jane'


Magnolia
Magnolia 'Jane'
(mag-NO-lee-a)

This is one of the two eight Little Girl hybrid Magnolias growing at the Estate. Both have turned into beautiful small trees. ‘Jane’ seems a little smaller than ‘Rikki’, which is a good thing considering where it is planted. A couple of things I like about this series are the smaller stature, darker flower color and the biggest one is the later bloom time. They often bloom about two weeks later than the other Magnolias and this allows them to usually escape any late spring frosts. ‘Jane’ is a very nice addition to the landscape and is often a bit of showstopper when in bloom. I would like to add ‘Susan’ to the collection, as I love the flower color. I will have to add that to my “need to get” list.


The great American road trip start tomorrow in the early am. Connecticut to Key West, Florida with two winter weary snowbirds, a Border collie and a Siberian husky as confirmed ticket holders. I will be updating our progress on twitter as we try and skirt yet another winter storm headed up the east coast.

6 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

You know how I like Jane, have two in the new garden. My profile photo is Jane. I first bought her in Virginia because of the continued bloom period after it leafs out.
I think Elizabeth is one of the Little Girl hybrids... that one is yellow. Giving that one a consideration.

Have a great trip.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Just looked, Elizabeth isn't one of the Little Girl hybrids....still interesting.

Dejemonos sorprender said...

Waaw, the first one is really gorgeous.. i loved it :)..

NYFA Photography said...

phenomenal images
http://www.nyfa.edu/film-school/photography/

Les said...

Luscious!

Have a great trip!

Jen said...

How cool! I love the contrast of textures in that first one. :)