Saturday, January 22, 2011

Winter Gladiolus


Gladiolus priorii
(GLAD-ee-oh-lus)
Synoyms: Homoglossum priorii

This is a species of Gladiolus that is native to South Africa. I had never seen it until I took this picture at Wave Hill. It is considered easy to grow and is a winter bloomer. Gladiolus seems to have really taken a hit as far as its popularity. I always forget to get a couple for the garden and they just don’t seem as available. The staking is the part that I don’t like about growing them. It is difficult to stake them and have them look right. More often then not the flowers seem to be laying on the ground or shooting out of the plant at an odd angle.

"Flowers are restful to look at. They have neither emotions nor conflicts."
Sigmund Freud

4 comments:

Christine said...

I love Glads. All varities. Thank you for this shot.

Fishtail Cottage said...

so pretty! i have never heard of a winter gladiolus....

lotusleaf said...

You are right, gladiolii are no longer favourites.

EG CameraGirl said...

I have to admit that the reason i don't grow them is they need to be staked. But this is such a pretty variety!