Thursday, January 06, 2011

Prayer Plant Flower



Prayer Plant
Maranta leuconeura
(muh-RAN-tuh) (loo-koh-NOOR-uh)

This little flower represents a small personal victory for me. I have been trying to get a picture of a Prayer Plant flower for years. First they don’t seem to be very free flowering and second the flower is so small it is difficult to get a close up of.

Prayer Plants are easy to grow as houseplants or outdoors (if it doesn’t freeze). The main condition you must supply is the right amount of light. Too much light and the nice coloration of the leaves fades some indirect sun is best. It likes shady conditions and moisture.

Rainbow Orchid
Vanda Trevor Rathbone ‘Banjong’
(VAN-duh)

Just to balance out the little Prayer Plant flower here is a big spray of purple Vanda Orchids.

5 comments:

Ms. Becky said...

I am in awe of your passion here. first, these photos are so beautiful.
that Winston Churchill Orchid, oh my. I love looking into the throats of flowers - they hold secrets.
In one week I begin my training class to become a Master Gardener. It's something I've wanted for a very long time but never got to it. When I lose my way in this world, I always come "home" to plants and my gardens. I'm thinking I may want a Prayer Plant now.

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

I have never seen a bloom on a prayer plant, rare bird. I had/have a snake plant that bloomed twice for me, another rare event. Those tiny blooms are tough to photograph.

Makarimi Abdullah said...

Hi, You have a great blog, I love it. I'm Orchid lover and I really enjoy read your post about this. Do drop at my blog to share the same interest. Best regard and cheers.

Not So Simply Single said...

Oh how I love those purple ones...They are magnificent! Wow! I want to come to your garden!

Kala said...

What a beautifully colored orchid. Hope you have a happy and healthy 2011!