Friday, January 21, 2011

Phalaenopsis Orchids


Phalaenopsis Orchid
Phalaenopsis ‘Kone Fangtastic’
(fay-lay-NOP-sis)

Another couple of Orchids today. Both are Phalaenopsis types. There seems to be a lot of ‘Fangtastic’ hybrids but no information on this particular clone. I liked it because of the heavy spotting. That makes for a dramatic flower. Phalaenopsis are easy to grow and very popular. They desire warm temperatures and some humidity. The flowers are extremely long lasting (up to 6 months). Phalaenopsis can adapt easily to in home conditions. Full sun is something they don’t like and an eastern exposure seems to be best.

This second photo is of a nicely colored triple Phalaenopsis bloom. I didn’t get the name of this beauty.


We got another blanket of snow last night and today. Luckily not too deep and it really freshened up the look of the old snow that we have already. Yesterday Juno got loose and decided to run into the back yard. There is too much traffic to let the dogs run free here. So I had to truck through the snow to get her. In some spots there were drifts 3 to 4 feet deep. Juno is small for a Husky and even she was floundering a bit with the depth. I finally got her and when I got back to the house my boots were packed with snow. I felt like it had been a little arctic adventure.

2 comments:

lotusleaf said...

The blossoms are very pretty, but I enjoyed reading about your adventure!

Grace said...

Absolutely glorious! You are both a flower artist and a talented artist of the photos.
Psst and I'm listening to 'Simple Man' as I view and read your blog. :)
Thanks for finding me so I could find you!