Saturday, June 25, 2011

Bandana White Lantana


White Lantana
Lantana camara ‘Bandana White’
(lan-TAN-a) (kuh-MAR-uh)

It hasn’t really been Lantana weather (hot and dry) around here this season. We are again waking up to a murky day with the threat of showers and thunderstorms. There has been some of the heaviest rain I have seen here in the last couple of days. Luckily it has only been fairly brief in duration or there would have been more flooding but even with the briefness I did see some cars up to their doors with water and stalled out in low lying parts of our little city. On Thursday I was driving on the Merritt Parkway , which can be a challenge without tropical type downpours, when one of the big storms hit. I found myself saying once again, “Thank goodness I m in a Jeep.” Traffic slowed down to bout 10 MPH from the normal 70 or so.

Lantana is an annual that I usually select for hot, dry and exposed places. It needs some water to get established but later can get by with very little. I like that if it gets too dry it tends to crinkle up but will come back to life when rehydrated. This white one is nice. When it’s in a group that tiny bit of yellow really adds to the overall look.

I have to work in Manhattan today. There are a few problems with the courtyard gardens I have been supervising. Nothing major but like any garden problem they need to be addressed before things get out of hand. Of course it will be an excuse to walk around with the camera.

No comments: