Sunday, June 19, 2011

Golden Clematis


Golden Clematis
Clematis tangutica
(KLEM-uh-tiss) (tan-GOO-tik-uh)
Synonyms: Golden Tiara, Russian Virgin's Bower, Old Man's Beard

While rummaging around in what was left of the roses I noticed this beauty on the edge of the display block. I don’t ever recall seeing it before but my conversation with the nursery person led me to believe it is quite popular. Further research indicates that is quite true. It is certainly a big change from the large flowered showy types of Clematis I am used to growing. I resisted the urge to buy one when I saw the price, $98 (US). It was a nice healthy looking plant but I just couldn’t bite at that price. In defense of the nursery they are the top place around here to get what you need when looking for unusual and rare plants. They grow a lot of big specimen material that is just not available anywhere else. So I feel they are able to charge a bit of premium for their plants.

It was the place I ended up for my 10 roses after visiting five other places. I was able to get some nice looking plants for $28 each. They were the only roses I saw that looked half way decent and was happy to get them. Among the new roses this year are ‘Tahitian Sunset’, 'Marmalade Skies', 'Elle', 'Purple Passion' and a few others. I accidentally bought a climbing rose, ‘Autumn Sunset’ (sounds good doesn’t it?) and the owner said go ahead and put it in and see what happens. The roses are doing well and seem to be anticipating their upcoming show, which is a week from today. Despite the heat and humidity they have been pushing a lot of flowers and I was happy to see that most of the roses we replaced last year were doing well. It is amazing what a little research will do for your gardening prospects.

Come join us at Today’s Flowers . The links open at 1400 GMT. It is a great bunch of people and you get flowers from all over the world.

Sunday’s bonus flower is this little Geranium. It was really attractive they way it was spilling out of its pot across the bench. It looked a bit festive to me.


Pink Cascade Geranium
Pelargonium x hortorum ‘Mini Cascade Pink’
(pe-lar-GO-nee-um) (hor-TOR-um)

I have laughingly started to refer to this year as the year of the Geranium. They have been around forever but lately they seem to be enjoying a nice resurgence in the market.

5 comments:

Luna Miranda said...

the new roses you mentioned sounds exotic--they must be really beautiful. looking forward to seeing your "autumn sunset".:p

the golden clematis is a stunner.

Self Sagacity said...

The yellow shade is very different to me.I have never seen clemetis in yellow.

Willa said...

I love the first yellow flower. It has a very interesting shape.

Thanks for visiting my Today's Flower entry.

Carver said...

The golden clematis and geraniums are very beautiful. Interesting information too.

SquirrelQueen said...

Both the clematis and geraniums are gorgeous. I have been thinking about getting some new roses, I'm going to check out the names you mentioned.