Saturday, June 18, 2011

Dwarf Shasta Daisy


Dwarf Shasta Daisy
Leucanthemum x superbum 'Snowcap'
(lew-KANTH-ih-mum) (soo-PER-bum)
Synonym: Chrysanthemum x superbum

Although the tag for this plant said ‘Snow Cap’ I have my doubts. The flowers were at the right height (Snow Cap is a dwarf) they seemed too big in diameter. The ‘Snow Cap’ we have been growing had slightly smaller flowers than the species.

Either way it was nice to see it blooming. People are always asking what my favorite flower is and are sometimes surprised and even a little disappointed when I answer “daisy.” I guess they expect me to say some exotic flower but to me the Daisy is perfect. It certainly is my favorite of the flowers I get to see all the time. The simply arranged petals around the yellow center have a nice effect on me. There is a certain order to the way the flower is structured that is nice. They often bloom in masses, which is another attribute. I guess almost any flower in the Aster family would be a more accurate answer but not to many people will understand that one.

Yesterday I missed updating this site for the first time in a long time. I left the house at 4 am to go to the free Selena Gomez Good Morning America concert. It was raining really hard when I left but by the time I got the city the rain had pretty much stopped. For any free event in Manhattan I expected chaos but the crowd was small and orderly. I got a good place to stand and it was fun seeing how they put the show together. All the morning personalities were there including Robin, George, Sam and Lara. Emeril Lagasse was there doing a cooking segment and that smelled good.

Selena looked great (even after her recent health scare) and sounded good. She performed her new song for the first time in public. It was weird going to a concert with a 7 am start time. That was the first time ever for that.

No comments: