Monday, June 20, 2011

Icy Drift Groundcover Rose


Groundcover Rose
Rosa 'Icy Drift'
Synonyms: MEIpicdevoj

Last year on May 27th I posted that I had bought a couple of ‘Peach Drift’ roses here . They turned out great even though it was an unconventional choice for our rose garden. Last week when we were there installing the other new roses ‘Peach Drift’ was doing very well. Loaded with flowers and buds and no disease. I was truly happy with the plant. That is why I have decided to try ‘Icy Drift’ its slightly smaller new cousin. It was disease free at the nursery and in full bloom. You can see from the picture the flowers are small but full of petals.

Drift roses are a cross between full sized groundcover roses and miniatures. They seemed to have taken some of the best qualities from both. Part of my need was good hardiness since the garden is located in a very exposed spot for winter. Our new program of putting about a foot of leaves on the plants, after they are cut back, and burlap around the garden has cut down our losses dramatically but we still need to buy as hardy a rose as possible.

Here is the low down on ‘Icy Drift’:

Type; Shrub
Introduction: 2010. Conard-Pyle (Star Roses)
Flowers: Small in large clusters. 17-25 petals.
Height: 1-2 feet
Spread: 2 to 3 feet
Hardiness: Zone 5 in the US

2 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Icy Drift sounds cold. Glad it is working out for you. What zone are you that you have to do so much for winter protection? In my 7b garden I do nothing.....so this is foreign to me.

Digital Flower Pictures said...

Generally we are in zone 6 here with pockets of 7. The rose garden is on top of a windy and cold ridge so I am guessing zone 5 for there.